Did you know that 22% of retailers use SMS to increase their email subscriber databases? It’s true! How does it work? It’s actually pretty simple, retailers advertise for their customers to text their email address to their SMS short code to be subscribed to their email marketing list. For example, they’d tell customers to text their email address to the 12345. This is usually advertised in-store, or in traditional advertising mediums such as print, radio, television, etc.
So it’s no wonder that mega retailer H&M is using SMS to also increase their email subscriber database. The retailer advertised in-store for customers to text their email address to their dedicated vanity SMS short code 70703.
In return for texting their email address, customers were sent a text message coupon for 20% off their next purchase. You can see the text message from H&M below.
Immediately after texting my email address to the dedicated vanity short code 70703, I received the following email from H&M, welcoming me to their H&M Fashion News email newsletter.
Experian In-Store Advertising Report
Are you a retailer looking to do something similar to H&M, but not sure where in-store to advertise your SMS call-to-action? Luckily for you, in 2014 Experian surveyed more than 100 of the world’s leading retailers, and found out where in-store these retailers are collecting email addresses. Hopefully this gives you some new ideas as to where you can advertise your SMS call-to-action in-store. The results from this Experian survey are below.
- Entered by Sales Associate at POS: 58%
- Entered by Customer at POS: 28%
- iPad: 27%
- Text Messaging: 22%
- Printed Receipt: 15%
- Via a Kiosk: 13%
Looking for more examples of brands using SMS to increase their email subscriber databases? Check out how the following brands are using SMS to increase their email subscriber databases.
- Learn How IHOP is Growing Their Email List Using Text Messaging
- Restaurant Uses SMS to Capture Customer’s Emails
- Baskin Robbins Uses Text Messaging to Capture Customer’s Email Addresses
- How to Collect Customer Email Addresses Using Text Messaging – Denny’s Example
- Redbox Uses Text Messaging to Grow Email Marketing List
- 5% of Chuck E. Cheese’s Emails Come From Text Message Opt-Ins
- Applebee’s Uses SMS to Collect New Email Subscribers
- 4 Restaurants Growing Their Email Databases Using Text Messaging
Are you retailer looking to collect email addresses from customers in-store or through traditional advertising channels? Check out Tatango’s new Text-to-Join Email Program, where you can collect email addresses via text message, and sync them directly with 20 of the top email marketing providers. If you have questions about this program, or collecting email addresses via SMS, feel free to reach out to the team at Tatango.