In the video above, Tatango CEO Derek Johnson outlines what you can send in SMS marketing messages. Prefer to read? See the post below. You can also find answers to all your SMS marketing questions in our Q&A video library.
When brands first take steps to broaden their communication tactics with customers, a common question they ask is “What can we send in SMS marketing messages?” A brand can send up to 160 characters of text per SMS marketing message, and within that character limit, they can include a few extra items.
What Can You Send Within the 160 Characters of an SMS Marketing Message?
An SMS marketing message allows for 160 characters of text. Within that limit, brands can add the following items:
- Plain text. Up to 160 characters of plain text are allowed in a single SMS marketing message.
- An emoji. This is a newer feature. Brands are now able to catch a consumer’s eye with emojis in SMS marketing messages.
- A phone number. This feature allows the customer to click the phone number within the SMS marketing message to call that company directly. This is a great benefit for any organization that relies on telephone conversations with customers.
- A hyperlink. Brands can add a hyperlink to their SMS marketing message. Note that this is an actual link and not a word that links to a webpage. For example, the message can say, “Check out our resources at www.tatango.com/resources/,” but it can’t say, “Check out our resources here.” The hyperlink is included in the 160-character limit of the SMS marketing message. This rather small character limit is why some brands use a link shortener such as Bit.ly or a custom-branded shortened link.
Below you can see an example of an SMS marketing message from the popular sandwich shop, Subway. You’ll find more examples of SMS marketing messages on our blog.
Can You Send Images in SMS Marketing Messages?
If a brand wants to send an image, GIF, video, or any other type of media content, it will have to use MMS messaging. An MMS message has more capabilities than an SMS message and includes the following:
- 5,000 characters. Tatango allows brands to send up to 5,000 characters of text within one MMS message.
- A subject line. The MMS messaging format allows for a subject line to be included. This is a great way to catch the eye of the consumer!
- Media content. MMS messages allow brands to include images, GIFs, vCards, videos, and much more. This is a key reason why some brands prefer MMS messaging over SMS messages.
Below is an example of an MMS marketing message from the fast-food restaurant, Sonic. On our blog, you can see more examples and learn more about MMS marketing messages and how your brand can utilize this format.
SMS marketing messages and MMS messages are both great options. What’s best for your brand simply depends on your marketing goals. If you have any questions regarding capabilities or want to chat about a good fit for your brand, we’re here to answer your questions. Contact us to talk to an SMS marketing expert.