With the amazing QR code statistics in the USA, I’ve been getting a lot of questions lately about how to incorporate QR codes into a SMS campaign. See below for an example of how a local video game store, Reset Games incorporated a QR code into their own SMS campaign. Below is a step-by-step guide on how to do this for your own business.
1. First you want to download a barcode scanner for your mobile device to test the campaign once you are done. I have an iPhone and I use i-nigma, but here is a full list of barcode scanners for both the iPhone and other mobile devices.
3. Once you have downloaded the barcode scanner to your mobile device you are ready to create your QR code. I recommend you create your QR code on http://www.sparqcode.com/ as the service is free, easy to use and most importantly it has the capability to initiate a text message from a QR code. To create a QR code that initiates a text message, you will want to click here and following the numbered instructions below.
4. Take that QR code image that you downloaded and place it on all of your marketing collateral. (postcards, business cards, coupons, flyers, etc.) The QR code image below is active, so feel free to scan it with your new barcode scanner which you downloaded.
5. Once you scan the QR code on your mobile device, it will open your SMS application and pre-populate it with the short-code and keyword for your campaign. Pretty cool huh?
6. Now all you have to do is hit “Send” and you will be subscribed to that SMS campaign. Pretty simple.